Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Test Network in a Box

Sunday, April 03, 2005  

I think I finally found it. The answer to all of my test network dreams and examination nightmares -- the Test Network in a Box.

Let me explain: I'm usually getting heat for having a half-assed test network. I've not spent the time or the energy of my staff putting together a test environment that mimics all of the critical servers on our network. The half-assed version we've got now is cobbled together from obsolete equipment and totally separated from our production network, which is a blessing and a curse. Blessing because my staff can't accidentally jack up our production Active Directory domain. Curse because it takes forever to refresh the test network.

Along came Dell to make my life easier. They introduced the 6850, a 4U server with up to 32GB RAM, four Xeon processors and 5 300GB SCSI hard disks. I outfitted one to that specs in an order I just placed. Combined with an Intel quad-1000MT card and VMWare's ESX Server for 4 CPU's and our existing NetApp filer. Because it's a test network, we can probably cram 40 virtual servers on the box. Our data is mirrored to the test NetApp filer on a regular basis and the virtual servers will be in their own vlans. Voila!

posted by Henry Jenkins | 4/03/2005 09:02:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading