Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Restructuring

Sunday, April 17, 2005  

It's been a while since I last read The Executive's Guide to Information Technology, but apparently it has had a firm grip on my subconscious. I have recently submitted a restructuring plan to senior management to try to make my department not just more agile, but more careful as well. The results are to split it up into a formal projects group and operations group. The projects group will have dotted-line reporting to a project leader, which also creates a training position for IT management. The operations department will be concerned with uptime, infrastructure, daily tasks & break/fix.

Being a financial company, I (and our examiners) are concerned with change management controls. I am finally putting into place a test/development network that will belong to the projects group. The operations group will be a double-check on their quality before anything new is implemented in production. A high-level overview to be sure, but this should bring up our quality while giving me 1) a better successor plan and 2) change controls that are company-friendly and examiner-approved.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 4/17/2005 07:50:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading