Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
On Outsourcing

Sunday, April 17, 2005  

There is a reason why attrition over time may be a good thing for a department. Though I might try to persuade, cajole, coach and even punish, at some point it just makes sense to change a department's culture by changing the people.

I never thought I would consider outsourcing certain skill sets in my department. A year ago I decided to outsource a development project because our existing developers were maxed out and we needed the project done. I'm concerned that my current, small staff can't keep up with the number of business initiatives that we have. Either my staff needs to continue to adapt and learn or risk being left behind. This is the same story major IT departments in America are learning -- there is too much to do, not enough people to do it and no way to hold back the tide of projects.

This leads to making tough decisions about what skill sets to keep and what to let go so that others can do it better. Everything is an evolution. For now, it seems best to keep as much of our systems administration and app dev in-house as possible, outsourcing things like monitoring, maintenance, some advanced network design and overflow tasks. Over time, is it possible that in our small division we will simply be project leaders, managing vendors and services shared with our parent company? I fear this to be the expedient outcome.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 4/17/2005 09:51:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading