Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Monthly Update

Saturday, March 26, 2005  

I started this blog as an attempt to do several things:

1. Vent.
2. Figure out what strategy and direction I needed to go in.
3. Think out loud.

My need to vent has lessened over the past couple of years. The senior management team factions have solidified and a truce exists over the use of my department as a football. I'm please about that. It is temporary, though, and I know that I am not committing enough time to meet with the leader of the "other side," i.e., our wealth management LOB. I'd better start soon because he appears to be the likely head honcho in 2 1/2 years. Time to put a reminder on the calendar.

Figuring out the department's strategy has been easier. Doing it within the constraints I have is the tougher part. Between security, compliance and operational issues, I find that we aren't dedicating enough time to those value-added projects that bring a return to the company. On the other hand, according to several articles (here's one) I've seen on TechWeb's News, most organizations spend 70-80% of their time and energy on daily operations. Although my budget may resemble that split, my staff's time does not. Given that added value is coming from the creativity of my staff (as well as from a pretty good helping of open source), it sounds like we're doing better than average.

The kind of well-meaning managers that have driven me bats**t over the years are those that can't leave well enough alone. Now I'm one of them, always looking to change something and make it better. I hope that the difference I bring at this time is that when I've made a change and created a strategy, I know that it will take time to achieve it. I have set our strategy for this year and, assuming we don't get knocked wildly off course, am done thinking out loud. For a couple of weeks, anyway.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 3/26/2005 03:25:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading