Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Knowledge Made Real

Sunday, January 23, 2005  

My last post lied. We did have some additional ripples from Tuesday's problem that one of my developers and I worked on until this morning. Gah. What a week.

The crux of the problem is "knowledge made real," i.e., what happens when you think you know something but it is working through the actual problem that exposes you to the limitations of what you learned and remembered. We have a number of gaps in the knowledge transfer that was supposed to occur on the afflicted systems and I'm irritated. Nevertheless, it's important to note that the last iteration of knowledge transfer on these processes reduced catastrophic downtime from 4-8 hours down to 30 minutes. That's good. But not great.

The next iteration is to reduce the time it takes to fix inconsistencies that occur with the data. To do so, it is necessary to understand and document the process in a way that can be quickly grasped. The last developer hired into my department surprised me by being good at documenting processes graphically. This is going to be a good, er, better introduction to her of the systems she's going to be responsible for. Now if I could have gotten things done right the first time...

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/23/2005 08:23:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading