Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Allow Me to Vent

Tuesday, January 25, 2005  

I am not in a good mood. It gives me heartburn to know that, after I've been here for almost a decade, there are still people here who are more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone they've never met than the department that continuously delivers solutions to them.

We're currently working with the e-mail admin for a business partner who is having a problem understanding that we do not send and receive e-mail from the same gateway. Besides not grasping the concept, he's having trouble with bridging the communications gap with my staff. What bugs me the most, though, is that one of our VP's just refuses to believe that it isn't anything other than problem with *our* systems. I have explained the issues point by point, demonstrated the near-total inability of the e-mail admin to communicate using e-mail, and the story she gives the Executive Vice President is that it must be our fault. We don't know what we're doing. Yeah, I've got that in e-mail.

Normally I would write this off. But there is something disturbing about a person's unwillingness to understand the issue, whether the VP or the e-mail admin. My goal is plain -- to get them both to acknowledge reality. I will have my staff continue to discuss the situation with the e-mail admin again. I intend to make him understand our setup, acknowledge how it works via e-mail, affirm that he will not adapt his systems to meet the needs of a Fortune 500 company, forward that on to the EVP and stick it in the face of his VP. Not that I'm spiteful. But I do expect a little gratitude and benefit of the doubt.

Do not screw with your CTO and defame my staff when you don't know what you're talking about. You'll be sorry.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/25/2005 10:53:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading