Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Speaking of Writing Memos...

Tuesday, May 25, 2004  

Thinking back to the memo I wrote, I remember reading Chapter 12, Interacting with the Business in the EGIT. It is a short chapter and yet one of the most important ones in the book -- how to maintain effective relationships with the business. Boiling it down, it's about establishing good communications and relationships.

I like the example e-mail message that rambles on. I find it equal parts funny and scary because one of my staff talks like that...yikes. The counterexample is a good one and I will probably use it in my operations manual once it's done. To summarize:

1. Be clear.
2. Bottom-line your message.
3. Remember the basics of grammer, punctuation and formatting.

I'd add a fourth item -- remembering the ambiguity of e-mail, it might be better to not send it and make a phone call instead.

Establishing relationships over informal meetings is important as well -- I do semi-regular walks with the HR director, once a month lunches with the Operations and Real Estate department heads and work fairly well with the head of Banking. I need to spend more time schmoozing the regional VP's and maybe work better with the finance people so I've got allies surrounding my only major obstacle on senior management (and only an obstacle because of factional fighting. Sigh). Politics is a part of my job I do not spend enough time working on. My mistake...and one I hope to correct with the staff add I mentioned prior.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/25/2004 09:47:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading