Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
How to Get a New Employee Without Really Trying

Tuesday, May 25, 2004  

After some dithering, I've decided to move forward in my pursuit of another staff member. I was reminded of some possible objective measurements by John Bashab, one of the authors of The Executive's Guide to Information Technology (EGIT), an excellent reference book for all things IT management-related. One is mentioned in Chapter 13 regarding budgeting -- how to assign labor in the budgeting process. One of the issues flagged by the authors is that an increase in budgets usually signal that more labor is required, hence more staffing may be necessary. In our case, our budget has increase about 25% year over year due to expanding business opportunities and an unexpected merger.

I'm not one to leap to spend money on more staff and build and empire of people. As a matter of fact, I want a lean and mean organization. I do not want an IT staff that sits around doing R&D all day because it doesn't have enough to do. On the other hand, I am aware that our "special projects" come in bunches and that taking the time to share knowledge between staff members and with other departments is valuable. We're reaching a point where that is taking away from other duties, both operational and special. Hence, I put forth the request to get another staff member. I intend to hire in another bottom-of-the-rung person to fill the desktop support position and promote the existing person into a systems engineer position because he has the talent and drive to succeed with that. After taking an inventory of the number of servers we have (read: operational needs), the number of business initiatives on the table and the number of IT initiatives I'd like to push, it just made sense to write the memo and justify another person.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/25/2004 09:30:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading