Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Business Makes You Dumb

Sunday, May 02, 2004  

At least as far as your vocabulary, that is. Too many memos and e-mails, denatured and devoid of spirit, have reduced my vocabulary into a mere shell of mono- and duosyllabic words. My girlfriend and I were talking about which kind of Mother's Day cards I should pick up this morning. She mentioned that her mom likes the type that are overly sentimental and couldn't think of the exact word. I started racking my brain and couldn't think of the word that wanted to rise to my lips, a word I obviously haven't used in quite some time. I walked three city blocks in the hot sun to get my hair cut. Couldn't remember. Walked to the grocery store to pick up water and the aforementioned cards. Couldn't remember. Finally, after the 90 degree sun had cooked my brain for a bit (perhaps the haircut provided better access?) it finally came to me: maudlin. So it took me about two hours to remember a word I probably learned in junior high. Pitiful.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/02/2004 01:35:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading