Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
More Vendor Stuff

Thursday, April 29, 2004  

I get swamped by e-mails and junk mail from vendors, so I'm continuing to share the love. I followed a vendor link from Active Reasoning and downloaded their whitepaper, "Change Management - The Other Half of the Story". Although a small company, we often find ourselves needing to explain why we don't have a formal change management process in place that tracks every change to our systems. These folks appeared to propose a solution in their whitepaper, so I read on.

Like most whitepapers, it's pretty thin on detail. Apparently the firm will custom-build (btw, that's vendor-speak for "really expensive") a solution to track, approve and log changes made to any system specified in the scope of the engagement. Heh. Did I say, "really expensive?" I'm thinking freakishly expensive at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the concept at all. I would be very happy with something in place that would make it easy to tie back every change to a request, log when it occurred and who did it and produced reports that would get regulators and examiners off my back. However, I'm not interesting in a bespoke application that will only cost me a few appendages and require changes itself as time and objectives move on.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 4/29/2004 07:59:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading