Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
It's Been Crazy Around Here

Wednesday, March 10, 2004  

It looks like it's been about 30 days since my last post. That sounds about right. In the last 30 days I've been pretty busy, both personally and professionally. On to the professional stuff, though: continuing the merger, upgrading the DR site, creating more custom programming, changing out one banking vendor for another, concluding the conversion of our wealth management accounting system, straightening out our imaging system, fixing the tape backups and trying to keep everyone from piling on my department.

For the first time in my career I'm on a project that will probably get outsourced to India. It's a standalone application that will replace a Rube Goldberg-like process held together with Access databases and elbow grease. The project finalists were between an American company fronting for an Indian development group and a California-based consulting firm. In an interesting twist, we'll probably give the bid to the Indian backend though the cost would be a little higher. Why? From the project plan to the sample documentation and methodology, they were polished. And I'd rather know I have access to an entire development group than a loose-knit group of guys at a small consulting firm. We'll see if I made the right choice. Maybe I'll get hauled into the boardroom and told those magic words...

posted by Henry Jenkins | 3/10/2004 09:19:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading