Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
That Interview Thing

Tuesday, February 03, 2004  

You know, I've decided to create a pre-interview questionnaire to screen some applicants out and try to keep my actual face time to a minimum. I'm working on a three or four question application with one question simply being, "code a function to do xyz as you would for use in a production system" where xyz might be something simple as reversing a string. I'd like to see that, if given some time to think about it, someone would consider placing comments in it, checking boundary conditions and other exceptions, etc. I've seen several software development interview questions that have this kind of programming test performed during the actual interview as an example of problem solving, but I wonder if something like this would allow a candidate to at least show that he/she understood what ought to go into a software function? Is this even a good idea? Any thoughts?

posted by Henry Jenkins | 2/03/2004 09:12:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading