Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Slashdot on Honesty

Monday, January 19, 2004  

If your IT department got the chance to have a heart-to-heart with senior management, would you take it? If so, would you be honest?

Over the past seven years at my current employer, I've cultivated quite the CYA attitude. I've found that it's better to have your ducks in a row than get too ambitious or visible. This culture has been in ascendancy for the last three years and is likely to continue unless senior management turns over again. So, based on the culture making the offer, how would I respond?

I think I'd respond with questions. Something along the lines of, "What more can or should my department be doing to enhance the bottom line?" Although I have no specifics, I believe there are efficiences to be gained in the wealth management part of our business, although my boss would rather devote little to no resources for them. If there is nothing to be done for them, my question would be, "How much more can we offer to push our banking services?" Are there revenue-generating opportunities we're missing out on that we haven't pursued?

The question I would most like answered is, "Where is the business going and to what goals should I be managing my department?" As I think about it, it is precisely because of the lack of vision at the top that I have the autonomy I have. However, I would trade some of that for a clearer idea of how to help the business. Until then, I can only muddle through with resources applied to perhaps inefficient solutions.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/19/2004 05:35:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading