Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Only 16 days Into the New Year...

Friday, January 16, 2004  

...and I've already spent 20% of my capital budget. At this rate I'll be out of dough by the end of March. Let's see:

1. Several additional servers for an expanded Citrix farm, more ancillary banking systems and disaster recovery at our hot site.

2. Upgrades for most of the computers at Investments (because they have 4+ year old desktops that barely run).

Nothing but hardware. I love the technology, mind you, but the creepy feeling as the hairs rise up on the back of my neck tells me that someone's going to have a hard time swallowing this. I hate upgrades precisely because it's nothing but a cost sink to senior management. At least I can put the onus (correctly) on the merger. Now I have to hold the line on spending in other categories to make up for the upgrades. What, no budget increase for this? That's right...no additional money in the budget. Gotta make do with what I've got. Great.

As Bill the Cat might say, "Ack. Thhppp!"

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/16/2004 01:59:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading