Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Blech

Monday, January 26, 2004  

There are parts of my job that are stimulating, rewarding, thought-provoking and challenging. Then there are other aspects that have the appeal of fingernails on chalkboard. Or worse. I remember an update to Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" in which Hell was described as eternal boredom. While not eternal, I am once again subjected to penance for my sins -- slogging through resumes for a software developer. Funny enough, Slashdot points to a posting at the Joel on Software site where the author, Joel Spolsky, discusses his experience wading through hundreds of resumes. I feel his pain.

I would add in another point that irritates me -- when I ask for a salary history, give me a damned salary history! If I am not looking for a $100K per annum software developer, why are you wasting your time and mine? Crimony, like I'm going to interview you and love your performance so much I'm willing to put you into a junior-level position for oodles of money.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/26/2004 09:30:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading