Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Meeting with CL

Wednesday, May 14, 2003  

Today I met with CL to go over three items: to see if she was set up appropriately at her new office (she was), to demonstrate the new imaging system (she loved it) and to discuss upgrading her office to Windows 2K and Office 2K. When I proposed Citrix as a possible solution she both rolled and crossed her eyes in a manner I thought might not be reversible. Fortunately for her it was. The conversation was very similar to the one I had role-played with my girlfriend last night (she played the role of CL, very convincingly I might add). After this display I knew it was sales pitch time. The conversation went something like this:

CL: (rolls eyes)
Me: Of course, we would never roll out a solution unless we were delivering a perfect product. The quirks, bugs and performance issues we discover in our trials at this office will serve in creating that kind of product. If you're still not comfortable when we're ready, we can discuss other alternatives.
CL: I'm sure you would never give us a substandard product. I know how seriously your department takes our needs.
Me: Absolutely we do! Most of my conversations were with the prior department manager; do you know why I'm interested in rolling out Citrix to all of the offices?
CL: Money.
Me: Yes, that's the primary factor. If we save $50,000 a year in PC upgrades it's a decent sum of money. However, it's more than just that. Every dollar I spend is created from $15 in revenue so $50K a year is really $750,000 in revenue that we don't have to raise.
CL: Whatever the amount, it makes a difference. I'm willing to play with the team as long as we don't sacrifice performance for my group.
Me: That's my goal as well. In fact, we're about to put into production a system that should increase performance to a level you'll be comfortable with.


Besides the ass-kissing and my obvious solipsism with the revenue numbers, I've got her open to the possibility. I also learned that I'm not the only one pushing this in management and that if I can deliver what I'm promising (which I believe I can) then it should go through. Heh.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/14/2003 09:12:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading