Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
I'm Not "The Computer Guy"

Thursday, May 22, 2003  

I recently confused the Sweetie over dinner with her friends when I acted a little cagey about my position. While part of it was due to crankiness, part of it is also due to the overwhelming banality of responses I get when I tell people what my position is. A typical conversation starts:

Them: "So, what do you do?"
Me: "I'm the Chief Technology Officer for a small financial company in Orange County."
Them: "Oh, you work with computers."

At this point I usually hear a selection from the following genres:

Patronizing: "Oh, you picked a great field. Computers will be around for a long time."
Opportunistic: "You know, I was thinking of getting a laptop for home. What's good?"
Clueless: "Hey, every time I try chatting with my friends on AOL and attach a picture it makes my computer reboot. Any idea why that would happen?"

I oversee the careers of five people, control a budget of around $1.6 million a year, set the strategy for the information services department and touch every aspect of the organization. Oh yeah, and some of my job involves computers. Maybe it's because I've worked my way up through the ranks, maybe because of all the hard work in every aspect I've cited above. I've got pride in what I've accomplished and as much as I don't expect a CFO to be asked about how cool Excel is or why a home calculator doesn't work quite right if you hold down the 0 and 4 keys simultaneously, neither do I desire nor require brain-dead comments about my profession. So there. And get a Dell, dude.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/22/2003 10:45:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading