Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Desktop Support

Friday, May 30, 2003  

We've reduced our desktop support calls 50% year over year. I attribute that to the desktop support position I was able to fill, dedicating a single person to help desk issues. Using his insight we've been able to solve many of the recurring issues and still keep support calls down while upgrading to Windows 2000 and migrating half our company to thin client computing. I'm very pleased, as are our end-users.

The next initiative I have is the ability to work the help desk remotely. I see a day when any of the IS staff can whip open a laptop, connect to the network via the wireless (ubiquitous and accelerated) Internet and identify/repair/manage every node on the network. The only part not falling into place is the wireless Internet. Hotspots aren't nearly as available as they should be and the service itself is expensive. And once my staff learns how to use it, it's only a matter of time before even sales figures out how to make it work...

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/30/2003 01:01:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading