Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Chapter 4

Monday, May 05, 2003  

Chapter 4 of the Executive's Guide to Information Technology describes their preference for a well-organized IT department. They believe in splitting the IT department into two parts -- Application Development and IT Operations. These are further broken down (e.g., IT Operations are broken down into help desk, end-user support, systems admin, network admin and telecom). The authors believe that the positions should be ranked so that mobility from one area to another serves as a career ladder. Although I haven't worked in larger organizations, the organization they map out sounds good to me.

Interestingly enough, my IT department is organized similar to their suggested best practice. I have five employees -- two are programmers and three are IT Operations. I have further broken down the IT Operations specializations into Desktop Support, Systems Engineer and Network Engineer. There are some compromises that must be made, of course. Several roles will overlap and there's hardly a method for me to promote the systems engineer into the network engineer position. For one of my top performers I am considering a cross-discipline position, something similar to a project leader, in which I plan to help him develop management skills. The issue of IT management is discussed in Chapter 5.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/05/2003 10:20:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading