Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Blade Servers, Part I

Thursday, May 08, 2003  

Although I've written about the concept of using blade servers in our environment before, I am happy to announce that I've finally gotten my hands on one for real -- a Dell PowerEdge 1655MC with three blades. Each blade is a (kinda wussy) dual PIII running at 1.4GHz with 2GB RAM and two mirrored 73GB Ultra160 drives. The impetus behind getting the 1655MC was to set up a Citrix Metaframe server farm. Our current Citrix servers are running on VMware's GSX Server and the interactive performance is just too laggy. I'm expecting that access to two processors, even if they're slower than the one used by the virtual servers, enhances performance. My next entry on this server will be: how do I set it up?

posted by Henry Jenkins | 5/08/2003 10:36:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading