Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Idea Guys.

Saturday, April 19, 2003  

I hate idea guys. No, scratch that...I don't hate them, I severely dislike them. But don't they have vision? Don't they revitalize and re-energize? Don't they make companies competitive? Uh, no. I'm not talking about people with vision. I'm talking "idea guys," usually a high-paid exec whose latest diarrhea of the mouth is buzzword-laced hyperbole capable of only causing grief to those of us unlucky enough to be handed a mandate to implement it. It is unfortunate that I am not in executive meetings when these things are bandied about; I fear my boss' bullshit detector, while pretty finely tuned, may not detect the more subtle aroma of hype because he's not a tech exec.

Why am I ranting about this? I had a conversation with one of my senior managers about another exec's vision for the wealth management LOB involving "open platforms and systems." Ahem. Yeah, I'm sure "open system" means Microsoft and "open platform" means Excel in his jargon. Sigh. Half the battle is trying to get a senior manager to actually speak in English and describe what they want without the fluff. Of course, that would also mean they might know more than just words, words, words (to quote a famous Dane).

I believe in vision. Assigning goal(s), alloting time for them, realizing that the eddies and tides of daily problems will interefere with their implementation but pursuing them to their conclusion without burning out people in the process. This is probably why I won't get that executive washroom key. Heh.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 4/19/2003 11:27:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading