Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
Strategery

Thursday, January 30, 2003  

My last post about the paperwork the Feds make us do was a bit cranky. The truth is one good thing comes out of the process -- I am allowed to view the Holy of Holies, the Three Year Business Plan (sarky remark about a Five Year Plan and the attendant connotations will be shelved). I'm required to see this document because the Feds expect me to write an IS strategy that is aligned with business goals. Something other than, "I'm just supporting whatever senior management declared to be gold today." For some reason their objectives vary whether it's morning or afternoon.

So I was thinking about the prior initiatives I've discussed and decided to add a new one to the mix -- the real time enterprise. We have an embryonic version of it now that is beginning to take form, tracking transactions, interfaces, services, systems and networking equipment. Using the application development platform we've envisioned, I believe we'll have an opportunity to create an infrastructure for tracking that information on a near-real time basis. We'll be using PostgreSQL as the database server, Perl, Python and .NET to collect the information and Apache/PHP to display it. I'm confident we can put a framework in place before the first half of this year.

As far as the other projects are concerned, I expect the CRM back-end upgrade and the imaging system outsourcing to be done by the end of the first quarter. Security and change management will probably take the entire year. The application development infrastructure will be ready by the end of the first half of 2003. Thin clients may or may not be a go...the COO is evaluating that decision (when "maybe" means "no").

Ultimately what this means for me is my continued lack of faith and confidence in senior management will continue to co-exist with my freedom to brainstorm about projects that actually help the company.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/30/2003 10:48:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading