Modern Middle Manager
Primarily my musings on the practical application of technology and management principles at a financial services company.
The Hardest Part of Management

Wednesday, January 15, 2003  

The most difficult part of management to me is staying out of my staff's way while they go about completing the projects before them. I like results, especially a lot of good results. Sometimes that makes me a twitchy manager who keeps thinking he can keep making helpful suggestions about how to get things done faster. When that feeling comes over me I try really, really hard to go get some coffee or take a walk.

There are hours, even days, when my staff does not need me. For many tasks I can now provide guidance and set their goals without telling them how to get there. That should be freeing me to contemplate what we can do to make our department and organization better. Which it does, which makes me impatient to actually achieve it all, which makes me twitchy...

I read somewhere that management is really counterintuitive, although I forgot the link. Often the worse thing you can do is keep fiddling with your staff accomplishing their goals once they are functional in their field. Let them learn on their own, teach them how to find what they need and let them give you the results you asked for.

posted by Henry Jenkins | 1/15/2003 02:56:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
search
the author
archives
links
open source
vendors
stats
reading